Follow me on Kickstarter to see that I back too many games.
Favorite game publishers
- Gamelyn Games makes the Tiny Epic series. These are small-sized games that play big on a table. They have excellent solo modes, scale to four or five players, and play in about an hour.
- Button Sky Games makes quick-to-play wallet-sized games, for one to two players.
- Sinister Fish Games share a gorgeous aesthetic, with quality materials.
- Tiny Epic Dungeons (2021) is a dungeon crawler, with great mechanics. It also got me into painting minifigures.
- Wingspan (2019) is well balanced, beautiful, and educational.
Most impactful games
- Settlers of Catan (1995) made me realize games could be significantly more entertaining than Monopoly, Risk, or Scrabble.
- Risk (1959) was played continuously in high school during breaks throughout the school day. In the iOS version, games would last ten minutes instead of hours. I realized in dismay that strategy and decision making was a miniscule part of the gameplay, as most of the time requirement was set up, rolling the dice, moving pieces, and waiting on other players. Since then, I vowed to find more interesting games and be more sensitive to game mechanics.