Inclusive Design Principles.)How can we measure inclusion?
- Business success should be measured by user success.
- Build operations (e.g. dev ops, design ops, research ops) to support the organization’s values (e.g. time, fulfillment, and quality).
- Be careful and considerate of users’ personal preferences, capabilities, privacy, and experience. Each person experiences situations and stress differently. Permit users to opt-out or opt-in. Beware that motion can trigger illness (use
prefers-reduced-motion). Some users may prefer dark color modes (use
- Understand user behavior with analytics. Use a framework (e.g. HEART) to strategize how to determine, record, and analyze analytics.
- Time is friction. Slow down the user to help comprehension.
- Simplify: Make it easy. Make it less. Make it fast.
- Test performance by simulating a mobile device on a poor network. (See Lighthouse Dev Tool.)
- Test multiple screen readers. All behave differently and can be configured differently.
- Build to help, not to impress.